Sunday, August 15, 2010

Happy August!

FairfieldZoneConf_EarlyAugust2010_DSC_0102

Part of the Fairfield Zone from the last zone conference (from Sis. Bunker’s blog).

Hello Y'all! :-)

This has been a superstar week! We got two investigators with a baptismal date, one of which was our first lesson with him! So yeah we're feeling the spiritual fire from the new teachings at Zone Conference, and in learning how to really teach. Things are moving up, and it's amazing to see the changes in how the work is progressing. But then again, just when you think that they scrapped the old system of doing things you realize that not much has changed, except for yourself. Things are truly done more and more by the spirit, and on the spot inspiration. It doesn't throw out planning, but it does make you more humble, and a better listener to make sure you know what your investigators need to hear.

I know I say this all the time, but it's true, Now is the best time to be out in the mission field! And it will continue to be even better as all the missions world-wide move towards the changes in teaching that they are implementing now! I'm grateful for the all the effort and sacrifice that I gave to be out here. It has and will continue to make the difference in my life for the rest of my life, and all eternity. Elder Holland said it all when he said, "Every good thing that has happened in my life, I can trace back to when I served a mission" (paraphrased, MTC conference) Missions can be tough work, but was anything that was ever worth it easy? Think about it.

I'm excited for Conference coming up! It feels like I'll have seen 5 general conferences by the time I'm through, even though I reported to the MTC 2-3 days after the Oct 2009 session. It's been amazing to me all of the powerful messages that we've heard, and the guidance that we've received. Move forward with open ears and hearts, and bring whatever questions that you want answered and you'll find them. :P I know that conference is still 2 months away, but it seems like time never stops speeding up on me... seems like a week ago I was stand in the conference center listening to our apostles inspired words.

Sounds like you guys are doing good, and having fun at home. I’m happy that things are looking up. Keep working hard, and find ways to think about Christ, and our Father in Heaven each day, even if it's only 5 minutes of scripture reading time. Pray always, and you'll find more happiness and strength throughout your days. I know that this church is true! I know that the Book of Mormon is another Testament of Jesus Christ, and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet called of God, and I know that God loves us and that He speaks to us today, to each of us individually, and through a living prophet today, named Thomas S. Monson. I love you all, and I pray that the Lord will bless you.

Your missionary,

Elder Mackelprang

Here's what's up on some of our investigators:

Miguel- we've been stopping by and trying to meet with him for awhile now, but we finally met with him last Wednesday. we had given him a BoM about 2 weeks earlier, and he had already read through the whole 1st book of Nephi while studying the underlying footnotes as well! We talked about the Restoration, about baptism, and about following the example of Jesus Christ. He wanted to get baptized, and so we set a date with him for Sept 11. We would have set a date closer, but he hurt his foot, and it may need surgery... so we're hoping that he'll be okay, and ready for his baptismal date on Sept 11th. He's really a cool and humble guy.

Gerardo- He has been taught before, but not for a long while. He was in a relationship with a less-active member, but long story short she left him. He's been wanting to get baptized for a long time, but I guess prior missionaries never followed through with it. So we set a date with him for the 28th of this month! We're excited for him, and I know that he'll find more peace and solace through his trials as accepts the gospel and gets baptized.  

Questions (From Dad), and Answers (From Elder Mackelprang):

  1. How are you and your companion getting along?  Elder Bittner and I get along good, it's just sometimes he gets grumpy, and then things are rough for hour or until we go into a lesson. We're similar in a lot of ways with hobbies, etc. But then again our personalities are just a tad bit different. "Enough to keep things interesting." as President Bunker would say ;-).
  2. When is transfer time coming up for you?  Have you heard any news about it recently?  Are you ready to move out of your area, or are you liking it there?  Sadly enough transfers are coming up a week from this Tuesday... I haven't heard the news yet... but come Sunday I'll know enough. Personally, I'd like to stay know that I know my way around the area, and especially now that we have quite a few baptisms! But, at the same time it feels like it's time to move on. I'll be happy with whatever President says.
  3. Do you live with members, or on your own?  If you're with members, tell us about the situation and how it works for you.  We still live with a Member, and she's a very sweet lady. Her husband died a few months ago, but she's been handling it well. She has a ton of cute grandkids that come and visit pretty regularly, so it's nice to see people, and have a nice house to come home to at night, rather than a small apartment. It's a really nice house, and the bathroom makes the master bathroom at home look really small. I'll have to send a picture or something, because I think it's really cool. Sometimes she feeds us when we have absolutely nothing going on, usually on Sundays when we can't go out. She's an avid supporter of helping us be self-sufficient, but she also loves to cook, so it's a funny balance. If we come to visit my mission as a family I'll have to introduce you to her. (her name is Sis. Hall)
  4. Any hope that you'll be riding your bike more (rather than driving) anytime soon?   So far we haven't been able to utilize our bikes as much, but that should be changing starting with this week. We're going to one of the outer areas of the zone that we cover to find more people and to teach the investigators we have out there. It takes a full days worth of miles to drive there and back so we'll be taking our bikes and doing some biking there for a full day once a week.
  5. You're approaching your hump day (well a month or two away).  Any ideas on what you'd like in a celebratory package?  Hmmm.... To celebrate my half-way mark? I dunno. I haven't thought about anything special that you could include in a package like that. Give me some time to ponder on that and I'll get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that this is a moderated blog - Elder Mackelprang neither reads or (directly) writes to this blog. This is done by his father.