Thursday, June 24, 2010

This week: Happy Birthday Mom!

Mom, I'll be sending your package today, so look forward to some bellyflops! ^^ It's really good stuff. I'm surprised that the letter got to you so fast, I wouldn't have expected it to get there until today. I guess living next to an air force base expedites the mail travel time ;-P.

 

The remote control recliner: Well the scouts are also part of a robotics team type thing, so I'm not sure if it was part of some competition, but man it would have been a blast to rig something like that up in boy scouts! Imagine one of those old-school controllers connected to the gizmos underneath the recliner, and you have the machine, with the unique comfortable reclined-ride setting! ^^ That just made me laugh for a good long time. 

 

Yeah, this areas a great area. All of the members are great, supportive, and hard-working! The ward mission leader's family is great, and we usually eat there Sunday evenings, and just seeing him, and his wife (Bro. and Sis. Alvarez) so excited about the work, and hearing about all of what there doing helps me be pumped and work hard. Sis. Alvarez teaches English classes at her house, and so since they live in a very densely populated Latino area she knocks doors of her neighbors to say hello, and see if they'd be interested. Often times that's how people become more interested in the church, and the gospel. Because they see who we are, and they see something that we have in our lives that they would also like. We have several people that we're teaching because of the new English class program that the church has created to help the Spanish speaking people. I'm still trying to learn where everything is, since that seems to be a weakness of mine (I think I get it from Mom ;-) ) that it takes me a little while to really know an area. I learn my immediate surroundings pretty fast, but it's harder since I'm in a car and I'm in the passengers seat. I get distracted, and don't process how all the streets cross, and how things work as well, but I'm learning little by little.

 

Trust me if there's any really cool stories I'll let you know.

 

So this week:

 

We've been working with some families that have been progressing pretty well:

 

Rita, Jesus, Eduardo, Jesus Hijo: They're neighbors of a member family in the ward, and they attend English class at that members house. They're listening to the message of the Restoration, and seem excited to progress, and find out for themselves. Rita actually came to church, and really liked it. Hopefully she'll be a moving force to getting the rest of the family there.

 

Amada Carrillo: she's also an investigator from the Daily Dose program. She was progressing pretty readily, until a week or two ago she ran into and talked with some J-Dubs. So she's kind of confused on things, and she seems scared of finding out for herself through prayer. We hope that the spirit will touch and inspire her towards the necessity of praying to find out. We'll see how it works out.

 

I pray that the Lord will be with us as we contact the families we teach, This is a big work, but I know that as we are exactly obedient, and we put for our efforts and do our best to plan those efforts to His will that we will find success. Even if those successes aren't readily visible to us. I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve a mission. I'm grateful for the testimony that I strengthened out here, and for the chance I have to share the joy, and happiness with the people here. I know that Love is the driving force of this work, and that without it we really can't do anything. I know that my Savior is with me, and all of us as we seek to do His will, and that He will continually bless us. I know that this church is true, and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God on Earth, and that we can come closer to Christ through it's pages than we can anywhere else. I love you all, and I hope that your are blessed with all that you need.

 

Your brother and friend,

 

Elder Mackelprang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that this is a moderated blog - Elder Mackelprang neither reads or (directly) writes to this blog. This is done by his father.