Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Week

This week has been better than last week, but has still been hard. People are occupied and busy. Were still doing our best to make as many appointments with people as possible, but there are still a few people who are called into work or have something else that they need taken care of.

We have 3 new investigators this week, one we found tracting on Lombardi named Roberto. We taught him the 1st lesson, and set up a return visit. I have high hopes for him. We also taught the 2 daughters of Luis Sandoval. They are hard to perceive what they think of the message and are shy to talk about it. Their willingness to read the Book of Mormon and pray will show whether or not they are ready to progress or not. We also had a person walk into church from off the street and attend sacrament meeting. His name is Jose Tamayo. We are going to go to his house and teach him this week, I'm excited for him also.

We weren't able to teach and meet with Patricia this week, but we contacted her and set up another lesson for later this week as well. We're going to be teaching Maria Sanchez and hopefully her daughter today. We've invited to Sis Hernandez to join us and help teach the plan of Salvation. We hope to prepare both of them to be baptized at the same time. We will set an official date for them in the next couple of visits.

My studies of the Atonement and the it's ability to heal our lives has strengthened. I know that we can all be made clean through the Atonement of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. That through Him we can overcome any obstacle, and that we can receive comfort and strength to overcome any trial, pain, or obstacle that we may have in our lives. It's truly a beautiful thing. Something that I'm going to advise my family and friends to study for themselves. I've also studied the Book of Mormon in Spanish from different chapters in Alma, Helaman, 1st and 2nd Nephi. They all have great chapters that talk about the atonement, the plan of salvation, and the necessity for prayer, and how prayer can bless our lives. I'm excited for the opportunity to teach people about the atonement of our Lord and Savior, and His love for them. If they pray then they can know.

It's sad that people think that it's just not that easy and don't try with that faith and intent that it talks about in Moroni 10:4. They will receive the witness after the trial of their faith (Ether 12:6). Or they blame God sometimes because of hardships, or for taking away loved ones... it's sad to see people whose hearts have been hardened by unbelief when they can receive comfort from the very thing that they are trying to shun. Sometimes this work requires lots of patience, and I'm still working on having that love and patience with me at all times. I know that Christ loves all of us unconditionally, and He always will, no matter what.

I'm loving the chance to be out here working. It's hard to get my bearings with all of these strange and new street names, freeways systems, etc. I'm catching on, and I'm doing my best. Elder Knowles is a great companion, and I'm grateful to have him as a trainer, even though he's still learning things himself, but he's a hard worker, and he does his best to do everything he can for those we serve in the Santa Rosa Branch.

 

:P so yeah, this is a clip of my letter to my mission president that I will include in my emails home from now on so you have an idea about what's going on out here. To answer some of my parents questions: I'll be calling about 10:30AM-ish (that's California time) from Aunt Marsha's house; so it'll probably be 1:30 or 2:30PM that I'll get to talk to you. I've already contacted Aunt Marsha and set up the details.

I loved the yearly announcement thingy, I can't remember the name for it at the moment... so yeah. I'm glad things are going all right at home, and I'm looking forward to calling home.

I hope everyone is still doing well, and is reading their scriptures! I know that this gospel is true! I know it with all of my heart!I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that he restored Christ's gospel to the Earth again through the gift and power of God. I know that the scriptures are true! They are a blessing to our lives and it is another witness of this gospel! What Elder Holland said in his last conference talk is true: Either the Book of Mormon is true and this is the true church, or this the book is false and this work is a farce. You have been given the opportunity to know for yourselves! Read and Pray! Gain that testimony!

In Christ's name amen.

Have a good week y'all!

 

Elder Richard Mackelprang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note that this is a moderated blog - Elder Mackelprang neither reads or (directly) writes to this blog. This is done by his father.